Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Little Bit About Me

I realized that none of ya'll know very much about me! I guess I'm not too great at the personal blogging thing. In a get to know you effort, I'm going to re-blog an (abbreviated version of the) interview that I did for the Asheville Etsy Street Team Blog.

Living the Etsy Life:


How long have you been selling on Etsy?
Since January 2009... but I've been buying for much longer!

What types of items do you sell in your shop?
Currently, all my items are crocheted, but I will probably branch out into other mediums! I'm just so excited about being able to create and sell things that I love. Right now, my favorite items to make are laptop cozies, wrist warmers, bookmarks, hats, and new surprise item that I'll be posting this week! I'm always looking for more things to crochet. I also just opened a vintage store! You can check out both of my shops on the left sidebar.

How long have you been making items that you sell on Etsy?
I have been knitting and crocheting since high school, so for about 10 years. I only recently joined Etsy, I posted my first items the second week of January and am still waiting for my first sale (that isn't to a friend or family member).


Creative Endeavors:

What are your favorite materials to use in your crafts?
Yarn and lots of buttons! And, of course, all things vintage!

How did you learn your craft?
My mother taught me how to knit in high school, my roommate taught me how to crochet in grad school, and I never follow patterns! I love to make things up as I go along, that way the final product is always a pleasant (or unpleasant and needs to be remade) surprise.

Do you work another job in addition to Etsy?
In my real (surreal?) life, I am a geologist and my specific research interest is groundwater. I know, crazy, right? I was lucky enough to complete my master's degree in beautiful northern Arizona, and then moved to Asheville this past summer where I am currently completing a year of service with Americorps. I work for the NCSU Water Quality group, our goal is to improve water quality throughout western North Carolina by installing small scale, natural stormwater treatment systems. You can see our rain gardens, stormwater wetlands, and green roofs all around town and lots of other locations throughout the region! I love to talk about the importance of groundwater and water quality, so let me know if you are interested!


Random & Fun Questions:

What quote do you find yourself saying most often?
One of my favorite quotes is "love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe".

What are your non-crafting hobbies?
My new dog, Petey, attempting to play the banjo, wine, porch sitting, long back country river trips, not cleaning my house, rocks, and water.

What was the last book you read? Did you like it?
Ok, I'll admit it, I just read the Twilight series and I loved it! Well, except for the last book, I thought it was a little lame after about the first two chapters. Currently, I'm reading The Blood of Flowers by Anita Amirrezvani and am really enjoying it.


OK.... now ya'll tell me a little bit about yourselves! I would love to know who my blogosphere friends are!

2 comments:

  1. Funny you should ask. My post today was about how I got started crafting as a child and how I began selling!(Where would be without Moms?)

    I am a quote person. I love to collect them and use them often in my writings. I don't say it often, but I often think "There but for the grace of God, go I." It reminds me of how bad some people's lives are.

    Last book I finished was Diane Mott Davidson's Catering to Nobody. It's a "culinary mystery", or what I call a "murder mystery lite". I love these quick, easy reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always nice to know more about people...thank you for sharing all this with us. I know it can be hard to write about yourself but none of us bite and you are an interesting person. Break out every once in awhile with something small and you will find it gets or so much easier....

    ReplyDelete