Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spring has sprung!

Sorry (once again) for the lack of posts! This weekend was lots of fun, but totally crazy. The weather has finally gotten nice and I spent the last few days outside. On Saturday, I went canoeing and we had the first cookout of the season. Petey (my dog) went canoeing with me and I got some great pictures that I will post soon. He decided to jump out of the boat and went for a little swim, but I think he leaned his lesson (that cold water is no fun for swimming)!

On Sunday night, I went camping with a few friends in the beautiful Nantahala Gorge. We slept right on top of a little waterfall!

Monday, I had a peer training day for Americorps. We went to the Center for Cherokee Plants and learned a lot about foods that are culturally important to the Cherokee. The Center is on the site of the Cherokee's traditional Mother Town - Kituwah - or "Gathering Place." It was really fascinating. We also learned how to graft apple trees and grafted a bunch of heritage apples. I got a junaluska apple tree, which has a lot of mythology and history surounding it.

Ok, pictures of all the awesome things to come soon!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great weekend! We have friends who moved to the Greenville SC area a year ago and we've been down a few times to visit and explore. I've added both of these places to "the list." We've been to several places in and around Cherokee but had not discovered the Center for Plants yet.

    When you get a chance, please e-mail me through my blog. I have a friend involved in a water project I think you'd find interesting and I'd like to put you in touch with his website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The center is sort of between Bryson City and Cherokee, and it just opened this year. They are still in the construction phase, but I imagine it will be open for visiting sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete