Saturday, May 2, 2009

Help me, Internets!

Is anyone out there a seamstress? Here is the thing, I bought this totally awesome dress to wear to my sister's graduation. It was about 2 sizes to large but I thought, hey, no biggie. I can totally alter it. Famous last words, right? Well, my sister is graduating in a week and I have yet to do anything about this dress. Here is what it looks like hanging in a shapeless sack on my body:



















My original thought was that I could just put a seam up the right side of the dress to take in the extra fabric. However, as you can see, there is so much extra fabric that it would make the dress totally off centered and bulky on the right. You might ask why I don't put a seam in the left side also to even things out. Well, I don't know how to deal with the zipper!



My second thought was to do like this and make it look like a wrap dress. Instead of holding it there all day, I would obviously have to find a big brooch or flower pin to hold it there. Now, this might work, but I think it will still look a little wonky.

What do ya'll think? Is there any hope I can alter this myself without totally ruining the dress? Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should just take it to the tailor, but I don't think they can finish it by my ETD, which is Wednesday AM. Help!!

2 comments:

  1. I think you should take it to a seamstress. It may cost you, but you'll be glad that you did it. I absolutely love this dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Then you won't be worrying about it looking weird all day!

    ReplyDelete