Saturday, September 12, 2009

9.10.09 PM

Dress: Gap outlet
Cardigan: Gap outlet
Belt: Free
Bag: Vintage from my mom
Shoes: 9 West outlet

Sorry for the dark photo! I just HATE to use a flash!

Anyways, looking back at my outfits this week, I think I've learned a bit about waistlines. Really, I think that figuring out which waistline works for you is one of the most important parts of making sure your outfit looks flattering. You can have a lovely piece of clothing, but if it doesn't work for your body type then you will just end up looking all wrong. Trust me, I've done this to myself many times! The way I see it- there are three waistline options: empire waist, natural waist, and dropped waist/hips.

I've known for a while that the least flattering waistline for me is a dropped waist or something that sits at my hips. This is why I hate wearing pants! Unfortunately, winter is coming, so I'm going to have to figure out how to wear pants again (or find lots of really cute winter weight skirts and dresses, this is becoming a more attractive option!).

What I was wearing the other night (above) has an empire waistline. I don't think it was all bad, but it did make me realize that what I always thought was the most flattering waistline is really probably not. I think its a bit too high for me and can result in the dreaded pregnant look that so many of us experience with dresses or shirts that have empire waistlines. For example- the entire decade of the 90s, when everyone was wearing empire waistlines and spaghetti straps. Not cute (at least on me- and many others)! I ended up belting this dress and it dropped the waistline a little bit lower- but not low enough.

So that brings us to the natural waistline- my new favorite! It sits above the hips but below the empire waistline, right at your natural waist. Its so obvious and simple, but it seems to be the waistline that most people shy away from. Sure, its not flattering on everyone, but from my extensive research (reading ya'lls blogs- ha!) it seems like it looks great on most people. I'm loving this new revelation!

What have ya'll learned from your blogging your daily outfits? Is there something that you have found to be flattering that you didn't know about before? And, whats your favorite waistline? Tell me!

3 comments:

  1. I love natural waists too. Especially belted with a full skirt as it gives me some curves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl...you are fierce! Get yourself some tweed or wool skirts and work that gorgeous figure this winter! Awesome blog! I love to see normal sized women wearing cute clothes and that vintage clutch is to die for!

    ReplyDelete